Saturday, July 25, 2009

uber Wal-Mart











So, we’ve returned from our month in Hawai’i with many tales to tell and pictures to show. But first I have to write about the really big news that occurred upon our arrival back home. Wal-Mart has seen fit to bless the Soo with not only a “Soo-per” Wal-Mart, but a “Soo-per Yooper” Wal-Mart. For months we’ve been anticipating the opening of our new Wal-mart, and had even heard rumors that this would be one of the largest stores in the nation. But no amount of pre-opening blather could have done justice to the reality of the situation. For in a world of over blown hype the hype surrounding this happening was, well, understated. In 40 years of shopping at Wal-Marts from Connecticut to California and Michigan to Mexico, I have now seen the greatest Wal-Mart of them all; the uber Wal-Mart. And it’s in my own backyard. Everything new and colorful, pristine, well lit, well stocked, and isles to walk 2, 4, 6 abreast, with carts even, rivals, dare I say it, Sam’s Club. To understand my excitement you have to understand this part of the world in which we live. Having such a store in our neck of the woods almost makes up for everything else we lack in the way of shopping, culture, convenience and choice. I know, it’s sad that the opening of a Wal-Mart upstages news from four weeks in Hawai’i, but there you have it, the unmitigated reality of living in the Soo. To me Wal-Mart represents the ultimate in shopping convenience if not shopping quality, and to have 230,000 sq. ft. of the ultimate Wal-Mart at my 24 hour beck and call is almost too much to believe. Should have bought that stock years ago; but with more stores like this one I'm still bullish about Sam's original idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment